Sunday, October 24, 2010

free wood

I decided to cut up some wood today and make some sawdust, hope something comes out of it...  I have some Apricot (I think) wood from a neighbor that had a tree break in the storms this summer.   I looked at the lay of the wood and started to chainsaw it up and the saw made the a bad, bad noise and started jumping.  I stopped a looked down the cut and saw the shiny metal looking back.

Oh no....  The chain is still cutting but will need to be looked @ later so I cut from the other end and found another metal shiny.  I pulled out the wedges and sledge and split it the rest of the way.  Turns out they have three bars and some waxy glue like stuff in there to keep the crotch from splitting. I don't know how deep they are or how I am going to get them out or  what wood is left but I will try and find out..
This is quite interesting timing... last weekend I was demoing at the Woodturning Festival @ the Woodworker's Club, and I heard the turner next to me saying that metal in the wood is the danger of free wood.   How right he is! 

No comments:

Post a Comment