Sunday, October 17, 2010

I have been spending many of my turning hours working on bottle stoppers.  Saturday our club had a woodturning demo day @ The Woodworkers Club in Rockville where we do our meetings.  It went very well, we had 2 lathes outside and 4 inside making all kinds of chips.  My task was to share a lathe with a young turner who was making pens (he also works @ the Woodworkers Club) and make bottlestoppers.  I knew about this for a long time and have been preparing, as much as I ever prepare.  I made a bunch of stoppers, bought a variety of bases and some extra Ruth Niles stoppers to show options and my favorite.    We had a pretty good turnout and talked to all kinds of people.  I had a lot of Osage orange (several questioned if it was mulberry but I purchased it as Osage and I am sticking with it.  
I made 6 stoppers while there and had 30+ examples to show people.  
Included in those examples are were these that I made from the Vicki Jordan maple.  I am hoping to get good shots and get them out the door!  Note the one on the end, I tried multi-axis bottle stopper for the first time and like it as a first try.  I was doing variations on a theme and I like the variety.  I step up to the lathe and take what it gives me.  I have been very happy with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment