Saturday, February 13, 2010

A little scare

As you can see from this picture from my last post I have 2 lights that illuminate the wood as I am turning, one a desk lamp and the other a magnetic base flexible light designed more for this type of environment.  Both are expecting 75W bulbs or less and they have 100W in them.  I was making a lot of chips yesterday and was doing pretty well.  I had taken Sociallady to the below ground metro to get to work and the kids were around.  While turning I had noticed a slight burning smell but didn't think too much of it, thinking maybe toast from one of the kids.  The phone rang and they came down to get me for the phone.  Grandma was worried about metro derailment on the news and we talked that all was well.  I had taken all my turning gear off, I drifted upstairs to check on things and my social networks.  When I came downstairs there was smoke in the air.  The desk lamp had collected chips, dried them out and started them smoldering..I unplugged the light, took it outside and dumped the ashes in the snow.  Some were bright orange! I turned the box fan on in the open door and the bathroom fan but it was very slow to leave.  I left for a while with the kids home and said I need one of them to turn the fan off and shut the door.  When I came back about two hours later, I learn that the door was just shut (something about you do it, no not me, you!) and the fan was slowed but not turned off.  (ah youth).  I still smelled it today when I went down to turn today.  My brain may be smelling that for months to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment