Saturday, March 27, 2010

Karma

At the last meeting, Phil was collecting items for the Potomac library exhibit.  I know that they have a big display case and he likes to fill it up.  Displays are not for sales but you can make your own deal if someone calls you...  I do it for the club and to get items out in front of people.  He was not getting many items and since there was no meeting the month before, I figured that most of us forgot.  I offered to bring some items if he needed them.   I reminded him earlier in the week and he said sure, bring some big pieces.  I put together 4 big bowls (including the wide rimmed bowl that is currently the top picture of this blog), loaded them in the car and  Cindy and I took a drive down River Road.  It was a very pretty day for and it is always fun to look at the big houses in Potomac, so we thought we would take the scenic route.   Many signs of winter storms with pine limbs everywhere, but not much I can use for turning.  Then, just before the turn onto river from the slightly less scenic route, tree workers with Oh so much maple laying on the ground, I thought I was dreaming.  I continued down to Phil's house and got a wonderful tour of his collection of wood, glass and clay items.  On the way home I was torn for going to rockville to eat or checking out the wood.  We stopped to see the wood and picked up 5 good chunks. There was soooo much, 6 huge maple trees.  There was ambrosia, spalt and lots of large logs and crotches, I just couldn't get them in my little wagon.   I could have gone back with papa's truck sitting out front of the house but StrongBackBoy was out at GF's, and I didn't have it in me..  Instead I cut up what I had, sealed it, stacked it and started turning it by roughing out one bowl and I got another rounded out... It has me flummoxed a little.  It is spalted and punky on one side and is hard to turn and is very off balanced with a light side and a wet heavy side... I will clean it up tomorrow.  I don't know what will come of it but it has potential!  So everything fell into place, Karma..... Now I hope I can get something worthwhile out of this!

We did stop and eat...Went to Michael's Noodles and it was very good.  Different than anything we had had before but yummy.


No comments:

Post a Comment