Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Thanks for the wood.

My goal in turning is to learn, have fun and get some wood to turn with.  with that plan in mind, I like to give back to the people that gave me the wood.. I have done it with friends and have a plan to do it with other wood I get but sometimes get less motivated.  Today I took a couple of bowls to Deb that I .... well, almost begged on facebook to come and get some of the wood that came down when a "tornado" came through and cleaned out some of the weaker, dying trees in the neighborhood.
I had roughed out several of the blanks and many had  punky spots that were rotting when the tree was up.  I found this one chunk that was pretty clear and made  a pretty nice plain bowl.  I kept looking at it and said that I didn't think it was a good representation of what that tree is about.  I found another log and decided to try natural edge bowl.  I had not tried this in a while and had just seen a demo on making them and cranked one out and it came out real nice.  It has a hole in the bottom where there was a knot but the bark stayed on and even had some nice character to it.   I delivered them both to her and her BF today and made me feel good.

No comments:

Post a Comment