Thursday, March 18, 2010

Last Saturday they were taking a tree down in the back and I grabbed some logs hoping to make something interesting.  While I was chopping it up with the chainsaw I took one piece that I thought may be interesting.  It had 2 knobs that I believe were limbs that were cut off and grown over.   So I turned it mostly out on Saturday evening.  It needed a lot of sanding and was still attached to the chuck by the tenon and no thought of a base put on it, kept thick to increase stability turning the piece and sanding.
 So Tuesday was my down day and had a chance to sand out the bowl and got it pretty nice, it has distorted some, but I like it.  I saw David E. put a little rounded base on his bowl and I was going to try this.  I was parting it off so that I would put it in a jam chuck and finish the base.  As I was parting it off, it went flying toward the wall and ended up spinning in the space between the wall and base of the lathe.  A little swear word may have exited my lips but the lip had a scrape and the side of the bowl where the sap wood is.  It turns out, as you can see in the photos, my "character" in the wood has a dead spot right in the center of the base.  I currently have cut off the left over on the base and put glue in the rotted part.  I will add a photo when I finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment