Friday, August 3, 2012

A Busy Day.

8/2/12
The walnut tree in Great Falls, VA
The homeowners at the trunk.
The Syca-no-more
Today was a Busy Day.  While on vacation there was a storm that ripped through the area tearing down trees all over the area.  Coming home almost a week after that was not good for my wood hunting. I did find a few logs here and there as people were clearing out and leaving by the curb.  Today made up for some of that.  A member of my club had emailed to say that someone that he sold a bowl to put him in touch with someone with a walnut tree downed in the storm.  I told him I would go with him.  Then yesterday I was talking with my mother-in-law.  She had talked to the people that bought their (35+ year) home in early June and they said they had a large Sycamore tree come down in the storm and new owner said that we could have some of the wood.  I called her last night and told her I would try and come by today.


At 8:30am I filled up my car with chain saw, gas, oil, gloves, eye and ear protection.  Emptied the chairs and tennis bag from the car.  I made it to the Virginia location right on time @ 9:30 and Phil was already cutting on the tree. He cut most of the branches off and took most of the crotches and ripped them down the pith line.  By 11:50 Phil's van was filled with walnut crotches, I had 2 large pieces, and several smaller pieces in the back of my car, and we on the road home.  I got it home without having the brakes fail, grabbed a snack and headed to my in-law's former home.  I rolled 2 large trunk pieces over to my car, and carried a smaller piece to the car, and home by 1:30.
Just to add fun to the day I had been avoiding 2 calls from a tennis friend, while driving, wondering if I wanted to play tonight.  I called her and told her I could make the 6:00.
Now comes the fun... my chainsaw was not running all morning but now is the time.  I moved and cut all but one of the walnut logs, Anchor Sealed the edges, called my daughter out to help clean up and I staggered to the shower, by way of the Advil bottle, by 5:20.  The shower felt great but the back was a little tight and stayed tight through tennis but I made it!    A good day has been had....... if I can get out of bed tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment