Saturday, August 14, 2010

Day 2 ... not so well.

I did round two of the McNaughton with the larger blank.  In retrospect, maybe too big for my mighty little lathe.  It started out maybe 6 or 7 inches deep, with a tenon on it.  When I started the coring in the center I had a catch and the piece came spinning on the bed with the tenon cracking out.   New tenon turned and remounted tried again and came out again.   Plan B... returned the tenon and remounted it, pulled the tailstock up and turned the outside bowl.  It worked well, up to the point at the bottom... There shouldn't have been a point at the bottom but that is how I turned it .... I think I can get something use full but the large bowl may be more decorative.. Then put a tenon on the center and took a core out of it.  This worked fine.  Not sure if the first problem was sheer size, technique, or the sapwood tenon.  Probably a combination of all of them.

I finally got around to fixing my tailstock.  When I got my Nova DVR the tail stock was missing a setscrew to hold the system together.  When I put it together, it never ran smooth.  It always turned very hard.   I have been trying to get the hex wrench into it to get the setscrew out and clean it out and it hasn't been working, like the setscrew wasn't there.  I was cleaning up after the oak was on the lathe today.  It corrodes the bed and any iron it contacts.  I had the tailstock off so I finally decided to fix it..  I popped out the bracket that the set screw holds but the crank wouldn't come right out.  After a lot of trial and error I got the crank to pop off.  I dug around where the set screw was and realized it was filled with gunk.  I dug it out with an ice pick and got the screw out.  Cleaned off the parts, oiled them and put them back together, and it seems to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment