Thursday, August 26, 2010

Vicki's Bowl page 3

8/17/2010  Today was the day I decided to finish the base.  I first refined some of the burned lines.  I tried to make some of them more consistent all the way down the line, some to fix my less the perfect lines.  This went pretty well.  Then I took it to the lathe.....  I gave it a light sanding.  I found a block and trued it up for a jam chuck. 
I had purchased woodturning double sided tape recently.  I put several tape strips on it, pushed it up with the tailstock and started taking off the tenon.   Now this is where life gets interesting...
I turned down the base tenon and started cleaning up the base.  I straightened out the curve to the base and brought it in a little.  I decided to separate the base and the bowl with a grove.  When trying to take the tenon down  a little further, I had a catch.......  What you can't see in the out of focus shot is a chunk out of the tenon.  By the look of the ripped fibers in the tenon, I thought I might have a funnel.  What I was trying to show in the out of focus shot is the scratch that I was soaking in water to try and pull out the fibers.  Fortunately that seems to be the extent of the damage.  The tape was all in a ball in the bowl.  I have some old double sided foam tape that is used to put light signs up at offices.  I put some of that on and realigned with the hole.  This tape worked very well and I cleared the tenon, sanded and all is well.   I am sorry that I don't have good pictures of the damage but I have found that raised blood pressure and photography do not coexist.

8/26/2010
I had been pretty nervous about posting these, because I am way out of my comfort zone.  Today for some reason I have decided to publish... not sure why... maybe getting out photography booth today is bringing me mentally closer...

No comments:

Post a Comment