Friday, August 13, 2010

first coring was successful

I got my McNaughton M8 system this week.  ;)  
I got the chainsaw out today and cut up a 15 inch diameter oak log... It was about 20 inches long.  I cut it in 1/2 and cleaned it up for the lathe.  Pith was off center so one side was deeper than the other.  Smaller one went nicely over the bed, the larger one could have been trimmed better to fit but had to turn the head.
I pulled out the McNaughton system from the box, I was so good not opening the shipping box, and the Mike Mahoney DVD  on the McNaughton Center Saver.  I didn't know this came with the system when I bought it, but I am so glad that it did... I came up and watched the DVD for 20 min. then went back down, put the smaller blank on the lathe and set up the M8 based on the DVD.   Went smoothly, had a few hiccups, and some small catches.  I am not real fond of the support bar that didn't seem to stay in place for me but it was fun and a good first experiment.  I did a real small middle bowl, next one is a little thin on the bottom but the next one and the big one turned out with good thicknesses.

I am a happy turner!

No comments:

Post a Comment