Thursday, August 26, 2010

Vicki's tree project

7/8/2010
Vicki Jordan had a tree taken down at her house and one that was there while she raised her family and it grew with them.  She was sad when it came down and wondered what to do with the wood.  She didn't want to just burn it and her husband John Jordan, world renown woodturner, could not use it all. So she decided to get a lot of people, professional and amateur, to make items.  The only stipulation other than pay the "fill a box" shipping, is to send in a high quality photo of the piece an maybe have it available for a show if it develops.  I have no intention to make something show worthy but I do want to push myself a little further than I have in the past and try to make it special somehow.


These are the two larger pieces of the four I was sent.  The larger one is about 6.5 x 7 x 5. 

 The first decision was what type of bowl did I want to make?  I looked at the wood, I had been doing a lot of natural edge bowls lately and although I usually don't care if there is bark or not, the bark had some issues on the edges and I would want to try and have the bark so I looked at the other side and noticed I would need to take the pith out. 



I decided to make a "normal" bowl and put the bark end at the base of the piece.  I cleaned it up and put a faceplate in the center of the bowl.




I turned it round and then thought about what I could make.  That branch inclusion near the rim, feature or foe?



I found a basic shape that the bowl wanted to be,

And I roughed it out to let it dry.....













No comments:

Post a Comment